615 Responses to “How To Tell If Your Fuel Pump Needs Replacing”

1. glen derosier says:

I have 1993 dodge caravan that died on the road sputters then died.wouldnt start..i suspect fuel pump..or camshaft sensor or throttle body sensor or fuel filter or something to do with fuel system.i put new spark plugs n filter still starts up rough n press gas pedal give gas it dies.ive been trying to figure it out for a week.help what seems to be the real problem its a 3.3 engine..

Hello Glen.
      Check the fuel pressure to make sure it is within specification and scan your Caravan for diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).
      By scanning the Caravan for DTCs it will help pin down your problem. You need to find out whether it is a fuel or spark problem.
      Fuel pump pressure specifications and testing is in your ChiltonDIY subscription for the Caravan, follow this PATH: Fuel Systems > Gasoline Fuel Injection System > Fuel Pump > Testing > 3.0L, 3.3L & 3.8L Engine.

• Greg says:

Same stuff happening as above.
        I received two codes. For the crankshaft sensor and for the cam sensor. Both of those are replaced and still having same issues as above. The check engine light comes on when it starts to sputter and misfire. I believe the reason its sputtering and dying and unable to start is fuel related. Spark and air are good. coil pack and plugs were replaced. Fuel relay was replaced. Fuel filter needs replaced but not restricting. Would a bad fuel pump be not giving my car enough fuel to run and fire right?

2. James Maxwell says:

This is how I fix mini vans (or fords). Take two sticks of dynamite, place them lit on the road, slowly drive over them, park and get out. Stand at least a hundred feet back. Bingo! Problem solved! Note: this also works on all imports :)

3. Zach says:

I have a 93 chevy Cheyenne, the truck has a fluctuating rpm at idle. & only happens at normal operating temp. Any ideas?

Hi Zach!
      Wow! That could be caused by a large number of things, from a vacuum leak to a MAP sensor to a fuel pressure problem and more! I suggest that you have the truck scanned to see if a code was set, otherwise it’s a hit or miss thing.

• Zach says:

I did have it checked out and my mechanic told me it was either. A fuel pump problem or a o2 sensor. But I’m not sure which way I should go..

Zach,
          If the mechanic is correct in his assessment, then each component could be tested. The fuel pump pressure at idle should be tested by the mechanic. Also, the O2 sensor can be tested for fluctuating voltage.
          Since the vehicle is a 1993, I’d assume it has high mileage. If you don’t have the tests done, an O2 sensor is a lot cheaper than a fuel pump. O2 sensors are generally good for about 70,000 miles before they need replacing.
          The first thing I’d check, though would be the throttle position sensor (TPS). Fluctuating idle speed is a hallmark of a bad TPS.

4. Zach says:

My mechanic would have check the fuel pressure but there are no ports to use to check. & I suppose he could of checked the 02 sensors. I suspect the o2 sensors are in definite need of change anyway, like you said. & I will also check the tps & get back to you.

5. eugene says:

I have a 91 ford explorer, and it will crank and run at first and on=d it wams up and i cut off the ignition, then it will not crank up, the firdt time I do crank it I can hear the fuel pump, but after I cut it off & try to crank it up then it will not crank and I do not hear the fuel pump at all, what could be the problem ? is this an ignition promlem or a fuel system issue? doesit need a a new fuel pressure gauge or a new fuel pump or what eles does it need to be replaced?